Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cinnamon Apple Pork Chops

So much for using this blog to get organized.  One post since July.....PATHETIC!  I'll be doing much better.  I promise! ;)

What better way to get back into the groove than with the start of fall?  I love fall and fall is definitely in the air!

Tonight’s dinner was a total experiment.  Luckily it was also a total success!  I was craving the combination of pork and apple (so festive and fallish), so I went to my biggest cook book – Google!  I was missing enough ingredients from each recipe to decide not to go with anything I found.  Instead I thought, “Apple pie is yummy…..pork chops are yummy……dare I combine them?”

Yup, I dare!  My first order of business was to make apple pie filling since I didn’t have any on hand. 

Cook ¼ cup butter and 4 apples, cored and cut into ¼ inch strips, on medium high heat on the stove until apples are ALMOST tender.  In a small bowl or cup combine 2 tsp cornstarch with ½ cup cold water.  Add to apples.  Stir in ½ cup brown sugar and ½ tsp of cinnamon.  During this time the apples will become tender.  (Just be careful not to overcook them and make them mushy.)  I put all of that into a quart mason jar. 

WITHOUT cleaning the pan I added a little olive oil and cooked up some pork chops.  They ended up with a light apple flavor.

In a medium sauce pan I sauteed an onion.  When the onion was good and tender I mixed in about ½ the jar of apple pie filling.  Top your pork chop and you’re in a sweet and savory heaven!  Scot’s review, “It’s surprisingly…..pretty good.”  -- Believe it or not that statement spells SUCCESS!  The best part is then you have ½ a quart of crust less apple pie (my way of having it) for desert or a yummy topping for some ice cream.

(Sorry, no pictures.  I'll get better.  I promise!)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment