Sunday, May 4, 2014

Our Chickens!


We've got chicken fever here!  Two years ago, and I really don't know what brought it on, I decided I wanted chickens.  This came as a shock to many since I have always been a city girl.  We moved to a more rural area, where my husband was raised, in the fall of 2010 and it must have awakened the country girl within.

In the summer of 2011 we bought, and moved into, a cute, tiny little house on .28 acre.  I guess I just needed something to fill that space.  Something that complimented my deep desire for an amazing garden.  In February of 2012 I found a breeder nearby and got myself six baby chicks.  It had begun!   

Last fall we took on some additional hens from my dear friend who was moving and had to rehome her animals (we also took one of her bunnies).  However, after a series of dog attacks we needed to make some adjustments to our set up and start a new flock.  We bought 14 chicks of various breeds thinking we'd end up with a rooster or two (that happens often) that we wouldn't be able to keep.  We're not zoned for roosters. 

Turns out we don't have any roosters, so we'll likely need to find a home for a few of them.  Our coop is comfortable for no more than 12, and you want your hens to be as comfortable as possible or they will peck each other, and cause harm.  Plus, who wants unhappy chickens?  I know I don't!


 
This is one of my Easter Eggers.  My favorite breed.  They're a mix breed that usually lay green or blue eggs, but sometimes you may even end up with pink.  We have 4 and we're all excited to see what color they'll be.
 
 
G's Lavender Easter Egger.  Her name is Princess Heart.
 

M's Silverlaced Wyandotte, Roadrunner.  She's too fast to catch.
 
 
MK's Buff Orpington named Yellow Chickie.  A pretty good name considering she was named by a 2 year old. 
 
 
And a one more of the Easter Eggers.  I sure love these puffy cheeked sweeties!

If you are considering chickens, and you were to ask me my opinion, I'd say, "Go for it!"  I know that when I'm in a bad mood I just need to grab my camera, and my 3 year old, and head out to the chicken run.  They are so great to be around and can lift your spirits in seconds.  Of course, I love anything that gets me out into the yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment